My Volunteer Experience
Catawba Elementary School
- I was an active participant with the Catawba Elementary School Parent Teacher Organization since 2010-2017.
- During my first year of involvement with the PTO, I organized and implemented a program called 'Fundraising Fridays'. Once a month, I would collect various items (such as Box Tops, ink cartridges, and Labels for Education) that earn money or rewards for the school. Students who turned in five items or more would earn a reward from a prize box. The program has morphed over the years, but still remains to be a strong supplement to the school's funding. Box Tops are collected and provide funding for the Media Center. Ink cartridges are collected to provide the school and office with reward certificates from Office Depot to purchase various items. Labels for Education are collected and points are typically redeemed to acquire Visa gift cards. In the past, points have been used to provide items for the CES physical education department.
- In my earlier years of involvement with the PTO I helped plan and oversee the completion of three major projects for the school. They were: the addition of a playground for the 4th - 6th graders, a class set of permanent picnic tables located near the 4th - 6th grade playground, and the construction of a walking track that is located around the 4th - 6th grade playground.
- As a member of the PTO Executive Board, I held the position of PTO Secretary for three years and I was the PTO Media Coordinator for one year. As the Secretary, I was responsible for creating the agenda and recording the minutes for the monthly meetings. As the Media Coordinator, I was responsible for communications between the PTO and the school family (examples include: creating the quarterly newsletter, assisting the Student Council with updates on the school's marquee sign, and maintaining the PTO bulletin board).
- Through the years I have helped organize and facilitate fundraisers and events for Catawba Elementary School. Some examples include: Spirit Wear sales, Butter Braid fundraiser, Fun Pasta fundraiser, Trunk or Treat, Catawba Elementary's Rocket Run 5k & Rocket Dash, as well as staff meals.
Catawba United Methodist Church
- I have been a member of Catawba United Methodist Church since 2012.
- I was a member of the Trustee Committee for three years. During that time, I was also the Secretary for the group. I recorded the minutes at our meetings and maintain communications for our committee.
- For two years I was co-leader of our God's Young Team (GYT) group. The students participating in this group are elementary and middle school aged youth. During 2017-2018, I was a co-leader for our Youth Group. A couple of our accomplishments over the years include supporting the Samaritan's Purse Operation Christmas Child shoebox program and creating Spring and Fall homeless kits to help the needy in our area.
- Since 2016, I have represented Catawba United Methodist Church as the Lay Delegate at the Annual Western North Carolina Conference for the United Methodist Church at Lake Junaluska. My role as the Lay Delegate also includes responsibilities such as being a member of the Staff Pastor Parish Relations Committee, the Finance Committee, and the Administrative Council.
- Over the years, I have participated in the Explorer's Sunday School Class, paired up with a student for the annual 'Prayer Buddy' program, and I have volunteered my time participating in various First Serve Saturday and church projects.